Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and I receive a commission if you visit a link and buy something on my recommendation. Purchasing via an affiliate link doesn’t cost you any extra, and I only recommend products and services I trust.
Are you wanting to start your own blog but feeling overwhelmed by all aspects of web design and development? Don’t worry; you’re not alone! WordPress and Divi, a popular page builder, make it easy for beginners to create a beautiful and functional blog without any coding knowledge.
In this beginner’s guide, we’ll walk you through the process of creating a blog in WordPress using the popular theme Divi.
Setting Up Your WordPress Website
Before you can create your blog if you haven’t already you need to set up your WordPress website.
1. Choose a Domain and Hosting: Select a domain name that represents your blog’s content and register it with a domain registrar such as GoDaddy. Sign up for a reliable web hosting provider like SiteGround to host your WordPress site.
2. Install WordPress: Most hosting providers offer a one-click WordPress installation. Follow their instructions to get WordPress up and running on your domain.
3. Log in to WordPress: After installation, you can access your WordPress dashboard by going to “yoursite.com/wp-admin” and logging in with the credentials you created during the setup. You can also access your site through your hosting provider.
Install and Activate the Divi Theme
Divi is a versatile theme that allows you to create stunning websites without any coding. Here’s how to install it:
1. You will need to purchase Divi as it is a premium theme. Once you have created an account and paid the licence fee you will need to download the theme. It will be downloaded as a zip file. Do not unzip.
2. In your WordPress dashboard, navigate to “Appearance” and click on “Themes.”
3. Click the “Upload theme’ button and navigate to your zip file in your downloads folder. Upload the zip file and wait for WordPress to upload it. This can take a few minutes as Divi is a large theme.
4. Once the upload is complete click the “Activate” button to make it your website’s active theme.
Configure Your Divi Settings
Before diving into blog creation, configure your Divi settings:
1. Navigate to “Divi” in your dashboard’s menu and click on “Theme Options.”
2. Customise your site’s appearance, layout, and other settings to match your blog’s style and branding. Here you can add your logo as well as customise single-page blog layout styles.
Create and Configure Pages
Now that Divi is installed and set up, you’ll need to create essential pages for your blog:
1. Homepage: Create a homepage for your blog. In your dashboard, go to “Pages” > “Add New” and use the Divi Builder to design your homepage. Remember to set this as your home page under appearance> customize>homepage setings> a static page> home page.( You can also choose to set your latest posts as your home page instead ).
2. Blog Page: Create a page that will serve as your blog’s main page. To do this, go to “Pages” > “Add New” and name it “Blog. Click Edit with Divi Builder and this will take you to the edit page and here you can a “Blog” module and configure it to display your blog post and set the categories to whatever you want to showcase. You may need to do this at a later stage once you have written some posts and decided on the categories. Remember to save this before exiting. To exit click exit divi builder on the top of the page and save before exiting.
3. Add some more pages to pad the website out such as an ‘About Page’ and ‘Contact Page’.
Write and Publish Blog Posts
With your website structure in place, you can now start writing and publishing blog posts:
1. In your WordPress dashboard, go to “Posts” > “Add New” to create a new blog post.
2. Click edit with the Divi Builder which will take you to the editable page and here you can add your content, craft your post’s layout, add images, and format text.
3. Once your post is ready, click “Publish” to make it live on your blog.
4. Once you have published navigate to the edit page and the backend of your blog. Here you can assign categories, add a featured image, add page tags and also add your SEO keywords if you have a plugin such as Yoast or AIOSEO installed.
Customise Your Blog’s Design
Divi offers an array of customization options to make your blog unique:
1. Use the Divi Builder to design custom headers and footers.
2. Modify fonts, colours, and styles through the theme customizer.
3. Add and style widgets, sidebars, and menus to enhance your blog’s usability.
Promote Your Blog
Creating content is essential, but so is getting your blog in front of an audience. Here are a few tips for promoting your blog:
1. Share your posts on social media platforms like Facebook, Linkedin and Instagram.
2. Engage with your readers by responding to comments and building a community.
3. Optimise your blog for search engines (SEO) to increase organic traffic.
4. Collaborate with other bloggers and websites in your niche.
Creating a blog in WordPress using Divi is a straightforward process, even for beginners. With these steps, you can build a beautiful and functional blog, allowing you to focus on creating valuable content and engaging with your audience. Don’t be afraid to explore Divi’s features and unleash your creativity to design a blog that stands out. Happy blogging!
If you have followed these steps but are still finding the whole creating a blog website mind-baffling then you can contact us and we can book you on to one of our support sessions or even better we can do it for you!